Krusedol and Hopovo
a dozen old monasteries, built mostly in the 16th century,
are situated on the Fruska Gora, a range of low mountains
extending across northern Srem along of Danube. These
monasteries are interesting because of their architecture,
which is often a blend in style of the Byzantine and
In some of them, despite the large
scale devastations of the World War II, frescoes and
fine high iconostases can still to be found.
The best known among the Fruska Gora
monasteries are Krusedol and Hopovo.
The monastery church is dedicated to the Annunciation.
The monastary was founded between 1509. and 1516, by
bishup Maksim and his mother Angelina who were supported
by Walaschain Duke Jovan Njegoja Basaraba. During the
final retreat of the Turks from Srem in 1716, the monastary
was damaged and the church burnt down. The renovation
started in 1721, and was completed in the late 1760s,
In 1726, a haroque bell-tower was added on, to the west
wing of the monks' quarters and between 1742, and 1750,
the church, undrewent certain adaptations which did
not singlificantry change its general original appearance.
The monks' quarters were reconstructed and expanded
in the same period. The churche was originally decorated
with fresco paintings in the 16th century. Is interior
was covered with new oil wall paintings between 1750
and 1756, done by Jov Vasiljevic and Stefan Tenecki.
On the west facade, there is a composition of Last Judgment
from the end of the 17th century.
The iconostasis was composed of icons differing in style
and time of creation.
The monastery church is dedicated to St. Pantelemon.
According to the tradition, the monastery was funded
by bishop Maksim. The reliable data about the monastery
date back to 1545/46. There are no records about Staro
Hopovo from the 17th century and the first half of 18th
century. Not before 1751. were there records testifying
to the existence of a church devoted to St. Nicolas,
with walls made of wooden planks. Instead of that church,
which was destroyed in an earthquake, the present one,
dedicated to St. Pantelemon, was built in 1752. In the
new, single nave domed church, the throne icons, one
the baroque iconostasis, were painted by Janko Halkozovic.
During World War II, the church was damaged and iconostasis
was dismantled. The church itself underwent conservation
and restoration after World War II.