a fortress on the Danube downstream from Belgrade, was
built between 1428 and 1430 during the reign of Despot
Djuradj Brankovic, the last of medieval Serbia's rulers.
The fortress encircled by crenelated walls and towers,
was for a long time the last bastion against the Turkish
assault. The main tower is well preserved and an inscription
on it mentions Despot Djuradj and the date of its construction.
Smederevo fortress suffered severe
damage to its towers and walls during World War II,
when a big ammunition depot exploded within its walls
in 1941, and from bombing in 1944.
church of St. George in the center
of the city, designed by a Czech architect Jan Nevola,
was built in 1854. It is one of the biggest churches
from the period of Romanticism in Serbia.
Its design blends Serbian medieval heritage and baroque
influences in a superb manner.
The interior of the church and the iconostasis was painted
by a Russian artist Andrea Vasilevich Bicenko.
The church of the Dormition
of the Virgin, on the cemetery, was built in the first
half of 15th century. It has decorative stone and brick
masonry and sculpturally decorated portal and windows.
Its interior is fresco painted.